Just as important as the working sessions were the debates and other side events that took place within the framework of the International Symposium. Examples include the discussion forum on the ‘Challenges and opportunities of forestry cooperation for development in Spain’ one of the central issues addressed at the Global Forum. One of the conclusions drawn from this forum for debate, organised by Cesefor and Forests Without Borders – PROFOR, was the need for a national network of forestry cooperation for development, capable of boosting the number of Spanish professionals whilst at the same time working towards sustainability and combating poverty.
At a venue located on one of the banks of the River Arlanzón, Symposium delegates also had the chance to visit the photography exhibition entitled ‘Model Forests around the World’. On the other side of the river, they also had the chance to visit the Museum of Human Evolution, with a guided tour that ended with a presentation entitled ‘Art and Forests’ in which Ronnie de Camino offered a vision of forests seen through the eyes of the artist.
Discussions continued with a round table debate on ‘Journalism and the Countryside’. Professionals from this sector agreed on the scant coverage given to the countryside in the media, due to the fact that 80% of the population lives in cities, and the lack of attention afforded to rural areas. Several speakers posited the potential for successfully covering countryside issues through environmental information, provided that the media collaborate sufficiently.
These events were accompanied by a wide range of other activities throughout the week. These included the Fuentes Claras Forum for Sustainability in Small Municipalities; the ‘Sphagnum’ working session on Patagonia peat bogs organised by Cesefor and the Chile Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS); the talk organised by the International Family Forestry Alliance, an organisation made up of more than 25 million forest owners from around the world; and the event entitled ‘Forest Management: over to the experts’, held at the Museum of Human Evolution.
Regional Networks IMFN Meetings
- Red Iberoamericana de BM (21 march de 9:00 a 13:30)
- Regional Model Forest Network - Asia (21 y 27 march de 9:00 a 13:30)
- Regional Model Forest Network-Africa (27 march de 9:00 a 13:00)
- MED Project Meeting, Mediterranean Model Forest Network (24 march de 9:00 a 13:30)
- Circumboreal Initiative (21 march 9:00-13:30)
- Symposium "Warm-up session for speaker, moderators and rapporteurs" (21 march de 16:00 a 18:30)
- Climate Change Strategic Initiative discussion (26 march de 11:00 a 12:00)
- Sustainable Communities Strategic Initiative discussion (26 march de 11:00 a 12:00)
- Knowledge Sharing Strategic Initiative discussion (26 march de 11:00 a 12:00)
- Ecological Goods and Services Strategic Initiative discussion (26 march de 11:00 a 12:00)
Events of the Symposium
- Inaugural reception (21 march de 19:00 a 21:30)
- "Spaghnun" Organizado por Cesefor-WCS (21 march de 9:00 a 13:30)
- Family Forest Alliance event (21 march de 16:30 a 18:30)
- PROFOR/FSF-CESEFOR "Retos y oportunidades de la cooperación forestal al desarrollo en España" (21 march de 17:00 a 18:30)
- Foro Fuentes Claras "Round table on sustainable development in little municipalities" (21 march de 17:00 a 18:30)
- Voluntary visit, Atapuerca Archaeologic site (21 march de 9:00 a 13:30)
- Photo exhibition "Lanscape and Sustainability. Model Forests around the world" (22 march de 19:00 a 20:00)
- "Art and forests" (22 march de 20:00 a 22:00)
- "Ruta de tapas" (22 march de 20:00 a 22:00)